For the last Disney Collab at disney-club.deviantart.com/
, I wasn't able to put a transparent background, which pi***d me off rather a lot... I saw much advice on how to do it with softwares I didn't have... but at the same time I was perfectly happy with my freeware, Photofiltre... after a bit of research, I finally found a very easy-to-follow tutorial for this... so in case it can help someone else, I'm gonna put the link and the translation (the tutorial is in French) here...
here is the link: rpgfusionv2.forumsrpg.com/t263…
and the translation (if you look at the pictures on the tutorial while reading, it becomes pretty clear):
1. this step simply explains that Photofiltre is free, where to download it and how to open a file... I don't think this needs to be translated
2. select the "magic wand" tool.
-Then click on the plain background like seen on the picture
- you'll see that everything is selected, but the chara ... but there's still a detail to correct:
- there's an area that hasn't been taken into account by the magic wand, so press the Ctrl key and click on the to-be-transparent areas (Mina's note: you can also do all the steps with an area, and then do it again with another area, works the same)
3. (a bit of blah-blah to say that it's better and cleaner if your chara is inked in black all around) then:
- go to: picture > Automatic Transparency > Inner area of the selection
and you obtain the following (see pic)
- your pic is now on a transparent background!
4. READ THIS COMPLETELY PLEASE:
now you can save it (the author explains the next steps if you want to make it smaller for an avatar), but watch out: VERY IMPORTANT:
you cannot save your file as a .jpg or .jpeg, because it doesn't allow transparency, so save your file as a .png
5. upload it to DA and voilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
hope this helps other people... and don't hesitate to ask me if you have questions about it....